[H-Pad] Puerto Rico

info at historiansforpeace.org info at historiansforpeace.org
Mon Oct 2 00:47:28 PDT 2017

	Dear HPAD Supporter:

	The crisis in Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria is not
simply the result of a natural disaster; it is the product of the
racist, colonial relationship of the U. S. State to the people of the
island.  The lack of an emergency response by the federal government
and the outrageous attacks on Puerto Rican officials unleashed by the
unhinged U. S. president dramatically demonstrate the devastating
consequences of U.S. colonial rule.

	We call on all HPAD supporters to respond both with material aid to
the Puerto Rican people on the island, and with political action
against the Trump regime. We recommend sending aid through the Puerto
Rican Agenda
at https://www.generosity.com/emergencies-fundraising/pallets-and-planes-puerto-rico-hurricane-relief
[1].  Politically, we recommend raising the following demands in
every available venue: (1) massive and immediate AID to Puerto Rico
now, no strings attached; (2) eliminate the Puerto Rican debt (3)
eliminate the Jones Act and allow other countries to trade directly
with Puerto Rico.  In the longer run we need to demand the abolition
of the JUNTA and PROMESA and the decolonization of Puerto Rico.  (See
“Washington Set Puerto Rico up for Disaster,” New York Times
9-28-2017, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/opinion/puerto-rico-hurricane-maria.html?_r=0
[2]

	See the "Waive the Jones Act for Puerto Rico" petition
at https://www.change.org/p/department-of-homeland-security-waive-the-jones-act-for-all-cargo-at-ports-in-puerto-rico-to-aid-hurricane-maria-relief?source_location=discover_feeds
[3]

	 Van Gosse Margaret Power, Andor Skotnes

Links: