[H-Pad] Threats to Democracy, Dangers of War

via H-Pad h-pad at lists.historiansforpeace.org
Wed Sep 13 05:14:05 PDT 2017

	Dear Members and Supporters,

	Charlottesville---DACA---North Korea, and who knows what disaster
awaits us next? Historians for Peace and Democracy (H-PAD) knows that
we, as historians, teachers, and activists, have skills, knowledge,
and the responsibility to challenge the Trump administration and the
devastation it brings to people in the United States and around the
world.

	TO ENCOURAGE ALL OF US TO ACT, H-PAD HAS LAUNCHED OUR NEW CAMPAIGN,
_THREATS TO DEMOCRACY, DANGERS OF WAR_, and we hope you will
participate in it. The campaign is broad enough that you can choose to
highlight whatever issues are most relevant to you and the community
or campus in which you work. By joining the campaign, you will be part
of a national group of historians, scholars, and activists working
together to oppose this administration and offer an alternative vision
of history and reality.

	A number of you have said you would like to organize an event. We are
working with you to facilitate that. We have put together an
outstanding Speakers Bureau, which includes the names of leading
scholars and activists willing to speak as part of the campaign,
depending on their availability. For this list, see
https://www.historiansforpeace.org/speakers-bureau/ [1]

	WE HAVE ALSO PREPARED A BASIC ORGANIZING GUIDE TO HELP YOU THINK
ABOUT THE RANGE OF POSSIBLE ISSUES YOU CAN ADDRESS ON YOUR CAMPUS, AND
HOW TO ORGANIZE WITHIN YOUR CAMPUS COMMUNITY. GO TO
HTTPS://WWW.HISTORIANSFORPEACE.ORG/ORGANIZING-GUIDE/ [2]

	TO ANNOUNCE OUR CAMPAIGN TO THE BROADER COMMUNITY OF HISTORIANS,
H-PAD SPONSORED AN AD IN THE SEPTEMBER _PERSPECTIVES_, published by
the American Historical Association. See
https://www.historiansforpeace.org/aha-ad/ [3]

	WE ASK YOU TO FINANCIALLY DONATE TO H-PAD. THE _PERSPECTIVES _AD COST
$1,115. WE WOULD LIKE TO RUN THE AD AGAIN AND, IF POSSIBLE, RUN IT IN
OTHER PUBLICATIONS AS WELL. WE ALSO PLAN TO PUBLISH A SERIES OF
ONE-PAGE BROADSIDES TO DISTRIBUTE ONLINE, AT CONFERENCES, AND ON
CAMPUSES. SOME OF THE BROADSIDES NEAR COMPLETION ARE ELLEN SCHRECKER
ON MCCARTHYISM, LINDA GORDON ON THE KKK IN THE 1920S, AND JEREMY
KUZMAROV ON THE WAR ON DRUGS. WE NEED MONEY TO FINANCE THE _THREATS TO
DEMOCRACY, DANGERS OF WAR_ campaign. Any amount is welcome, larger
amounts are particularly welcome. Please go to
https://www.historiansforpeace.org/donate/ [4] to make your
contribution.

	We look forward to hearing from you and working with you. To get
involved, go to https://www.historiansforpeace.org/organizing-guide
[5]/ . Everyone can contribute and the more of us who do, the more
powerful we are.

	H-PAD Steering Committee

Links:
------