[H-PAD] H-PAD Notes 12/4/18: H-PAD at the AHA; Lemisch memorial reminder

Jim O'Brien jimobrien48 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 08:59:50 PST 2018

*[First a quick reminder: The memorial event for the late historian Jesse
Lemisch, co-sponsored by H-PAD, takes place this Thursday, December 6, from
4:30 to 6:30 at NYU's Tamiment Library. Click here
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/lemisch/> for more information.]*

H-PAD at the AHA
Historians for Peace and Democracy will be at the American Historical
Association (AHA) annual meeting in Chicago, IL, January 3-6, 2019
<https://www.historians.org/annual-meeting>

*Two More Years of Trump: What Is to Be Done?* Join H-PAD and MARHO (Middle
Atlantic Radical Historians Organization/Radical History Review) or an
exciting panel on *Friday, January 4, 10:30 am to 12:00*, Stevens C-3
(Hilton Chicago, Lower Level).  We are living in dangerous times, and we,
as historians, have a role to play in resisting the attacks against Blacks,
Latinos, women, the LGBTQ community, workers, and those foreign nations and
peoples the Trump regime dislikes and attacks.  We will also talk about
ways to work in solidarity with those forces that are leading the fight to
expand democracy, social justice, and economic equality in the United
States and around the world.  The panelists are *Daniel Bessner*,
University of Washington, whose work focuses on what a left foreign policy
would look like; *Bruce Cumings*, University of Chicago, who specializes in
modern Korean history; *Nancy MacLean*, Duke University, the author of
*Democracy
in Chains*, among other books; *Barbara Ransby*, University of Illinois in
Chicago, who recently authored *Making All Black Lives Matter*; *Barbara
Weinstein*, New York University, past AHA president and expert on Brazil
and the recent election of Jair Bolsonaro; *Rashid Khalidi*, Edward Said
Professor of Modern Arab Studies at Columbia University.  Following brief
remarks from the panelists, we will open the session to Q & A and
discussion.

*Friday, January 4, 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.*:  H-PAD Literature Table,
Hilton Chicago Stevens C Prefunction Room. Stop by and pick up free
broadsides and other literature and to chat with members of HPAD!

*Saturday, January 5, 12 to 1:30 p.m.*,H-PAD organizing meeting and
discussion of "What Is To Be Done?" Stevens C-8, Hilton Chicago.