[H-PAD] Seeking your input for the H-PAD Steering Committee on July 14

Van Gosse vgosse at fandm.edu
Tue Jul 3 06:29:55 PDT 2018

Dear supporters and friends,

On July 14 (Bastille Day!), our Steering Committee will hold a strategy meeting in New York city to evaluate the past year and plan for the next, in the context of intensifying social and political conflict.

We invite your considered thoughts on any (or all) of the following questions:
1.     What factors (local political context/fears of impact on career, etc.) have prevented more historians from being politically active?

2.     What is (or could be) the power of radical historians and intellectuals as individuals or as a group? Does the practice of history have any actual power, agency, or effect in the larger world?

3.     What should be the main focuses of our organizing?

a) mobilizing as a voice within our discipline and within academic circles;

b) addressing the public directly; or

c) intervening in and working with the larger resistance movement? Does the movement want or need anything from us?  If so, how would we find out?

Please send your thoughts directly to Van Gosse at van.gosse at fandm.edu.  He will compile all for the SC.

In solidarity,

Margaret Power, Andor Skotnes, Van Gosse (H-PAD Co-Chairs)