[H-PAD] TIME SENSITIVE: General Petraeus at SHAFR -open letter

Carolyn Eisenberg carolyn.r.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun May 20 18:27:30 PDT 2018

*From Historians for Peace and Democracy *: We encourage you to sign this
letter protesting SHAFR's decision to invite  retired U.S. Army General
David Petraeus to be the keynote speaker at the June meeting of SHAFR
(Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations). This thoughtful
letter has been initiated by members of SHAFR - and does not question the
General's right to speak, but the special honor and  lindividual platform
accorded him.. The letter will be delivered to SHAFR Council  on*Wednesday
May 23* so please sign today and circulate far and wide. You do not need to
be a member of SHAFR to sign.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc791zOZ13a4Dq3lhkay7_bY-cgR3Q5SOtVWe_rTrQ6UZrjHA/viewform
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc791zOZ13a4Dq3lhkay7_bY-cgR3Q5SOtVWe_rTrQ6UZrjHA/viewform>
Open Letter: Petraeus at SHAFR
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc791zOZ13a4Dq3lhkay7_bY-cgR3Q5SOtVWe_rTrQ6UZrjHA/viewform>
docs.google.com
Dear SHAFR Council: We are writing to express our deep disappointment and
dismay over the decision to invite David Petraeus to deliver the keynote
lecture at SHAFR’s annual meeting in Philadelphia this year. As historians
we stand by the principles of free speech and inquiry, and we recognize
that our work often involves analyzing and engaging with the views of
policymakers with whom we may disagree. We acknowledge Petraeus’ right to
speak his mind and to present at SHAFR panels. There is a difference,
however, between engaging current and former policymakers and elevating
their positions with the special honor of a keynote lecture. There is also
a difference between a free exchange of ideas and the payment of
individuals to espouse their views with SHAFR funds. Our opposition to
Petraeus’ keynote stems in part from the democratic principle that
historians should be cognizant of the excesses of state power, particularly
with respect to military intervention and war. By inviting Petraeus to
deliver a key

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>