[H-PAD] H-PAD Steering Committee Newsletter #1

info at historiansforpeace.org info at historiansforpeace.org
Thu Sep 6 15:18:34 PDT 2018

_This newsletter is also available in a pdf and Word format for
downloading and/or printing on our website at
https://www.historiansforpeace.org/activities/newsletters/ [1]_.

	H-PAD STEERING COMMITTEE NEWSLETTER #1
_____________
September 6, 2018
_Historians for Peace and Democracy_

	WELCOME TO OUR FIRST H-PAD NEWSLETTER! We have started this
newsletter in order to share news with our members and supporters
about what H-PAD is doing and to encourage you to get involved and
share your news about what you are doing. The newsletter will keep you
updated on H-PAD campaigns, publications, and other activities. And we
really do hope you will tell us what activities you are engaged in,
which will be helpful for all of us as we work together to promote
peace and democracy.

	COMMUNICATING WITH AND MOBILIZING H-PAD SUPPORTERS. Communications
between the Steering Committee (SC) and H-PAD supporters have largely
been through the periodic H-PAD Notes and occasional email messages.
We are, as stated above, introducing this newsletter to improve these
communications. We are sending this newsletter to everyone on our
email list. If you do not wish to receive the newsletter, please let
us know. Additionally, we are working to develop a network of campus
and local representatives or liaisons to facilitate H-PAD grassroots
work. Would you like to be part of this initiative?

	H-PAD INITIATIVES THIS FALL

	* We have just published our sixth Broadside [2], Felice Batlan,
“Building a Regime of Restrictive Immigration Laws, 1840-1945
[3].” Our Broadsides committee is looking to publish several more
soon, and when we get ten we will do a major publicity campaign around
the set. Note that the Broadsides are all published on the Verso Blog
[4].
	* H-PAD has joined the campaign to defend student voting rights and
get out the student vote. We have sent out 3 communications on this to
the email list, and have posted “Ten Easy Steps to Help Students
Vote Where They Study [5]” on the H-PAD web site and have made
Student Voting: A National Guide [6]
	* The H-PAD SC has begun a discussion of how to more effectively
organize and facilitatepolitical education and public history. We will
send you more information on this when it is available.
	* We are considering holding face-to-face H-PAD meetings – one in
New York plus perhaps some others regionally – in late November, to
sum up the midterm elections and the impact they have on our work. Let
us know if you are interested in participating.
	* We are looking into activities at the next AHA Annual Meeting in
Chicago in January 2019, possibly including tabling, a H-PAD meeting,
a panel, and a resolution on resisting threats to academic freedom and
freedom of speech.

WHAT YOU CAN DO. WAYS TO GET INVOLVED

	* Give us feedback on any or all of the above.
	* Distribute the H-PAD Broadsides and use them in your political
work.
	* Get involved in getting out the student vote, using the materials
we have made available as appropriate.
	* Continue your involvement as radical intellectuals and historians
in the current resistance struggle and let us know what you are doing.

	Write us at info at historiansforpeace.org [7]

Links:
------
[1] https://www.historiansforpeace.org/activities/newsletters/