[H-PAD] Join Us! Become a Member of Historians for Peace & Democracy!

Van Gosse vgosse at fandm.edu
Fri Feb 28 13:53:52 PST 2020

Dear friends,

Since our founding in 2003, Historians Against the War/Historians for Peace
& Democracy has operated as a loose network. Anyone who agreed with our
mission was considered a supporter or member. This open-door policy allowed
us to reach out and incorporate thousands of people.

2019 was a year of sustained activism by H-PAD, including our May 28
National Strategy Meeting, multiple “Broadsides for the Trump Era”
published in partnership with DSA, the launch of our “Liberating History”
video series, the founding of five working groups, and a powerful presence
at the January 2020 Annual Meeting of the AHA.

In that context, the H-PAD Steering Committee decided to make the
transition to a formal membership organization. In an era of rising
authoritarianism, attacks on democratic rights, and contempt for history
itself, we believe it is crucial to strengthen our capacity for the long
haul.

*Membership in H-PAD is based on making a commitment to build the
organization
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/join-us/become-an-h-pad-member/>*.
Members will vote in setting our strategic direction, and elect our
Steering Committee. To be considered an H-PAD member, an individual must do
one or more of the following:

·      Make a financial contribution

·      Join (or create) a Working Group

·      Act as a campus or community liaison

·      Organize an H-PAD event

·      Something else--write a broadside, make a video, etc.!

*This list is designed to be inclusive. *The purpose is to ensure that
members are invested in the organization, while keeping the requirements
flexible.

If you want to become an active member of H-PAD, join us
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/join-us/become-an-h-pad-member/>!

In solidarity,

Van Gosse and Margaret Power, Co-Chairs

For the H-PAD Steering Committee