[H-PAD] Summing Up the Past Year in Action

Van Gosse vgosse at fandm.edu
Thu May 28 06:06:52 PDT 2020

Dear H-PAD members and friends,

It has been a tumultuous but fruitful year since our May 28, 2019 National
Strategy Meeting of Historians, and we want to catch up with you.

Since 2017, we have focused on the profound danger posed by the Trump
Administration, converting what was Historians Against the War to
Historians for Peace and Democracy. We began issuing Broadsides for the
Trump Era <https://www.historiansforpeace.org/broadsides/> and recruiting
new members.

Then, following a standing-room-only forum
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/aha2019/h-pad-panel-at-the-2019-american-historical-association/>
at
the January 2019 AHA Annual Meeting in Chicago, we called the National
Strategy Meeting in New York city a year ago. Attended by about fifty
historians, it has produced measurable results:

·      The formation of five different Working Groups
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/working-groups/>: on K-12 Education,
Palestine, Empire and War, Immigrant Rights, and People’s History;

·      An entire mini-conference
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/2020/01/22/report-on-the-rhr-h-pad-affiliate-sessions-at-the-aha/>
at
the 2020 AHA Annual Meeting in alliance with the *Radical History Review*;

·      Presenting three resolutions at the AHA Business Meeting (censuring
university collaboration with ICE and the Israeli government’s violations
of academic freedom), and winning approval of the first
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/2020/02/07/two-articles-on-anti-ice-resolution-at-the-aha-business-meeting/>
;

·      Initiating a Liberating History
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/videos/> video series, with two already
out from Donna Murch and Irene Gendzier;

·      Finally, early this year, we created a new, *active membership*
category,
and well over one hundred folks have already signed up—feel free to Join Us
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/join-us/become-an-h-pad-member/>!

The latest news is that, looking towards this fall’s election, H-PAD is
building a new project, the *Professors Network for Student Voting
Rights. *Expect
to hear more on that front soon!

If you have questions about any of the above, please feel free to write us
at van.gosse at fandm.edu.

In solidarity,

Van Gosse and Margaret Power, Co-Chairs