[H-PAD] Strike Support: Historians Letter to Columbia Provost Ira Katznelson

Van Gosse vgosse at fandm.edu
Fri Apr 2 09:28:53 PDT 2021

If you wish to sign this urgently-needed letter, please go to
https://forms.gle/eJhXePzoSW6KTP1e6

For information on the strike, see Graduate Workers of Columbia
University/UAW Local 2110 <https://columbiagradunion.org>.

Our deadline is *Noon on Sunday, April 4.*

Van Gosse and Margaret Power, Co-Chairs

Dear Provost Katznelson,

We write you as fellow historians.  Your scholarship in working-class
history has been of profound importance and has affirmed the right of every
working person to bargain collectively. We call upon you to honor that
commitment and lead the Columbia administration in good-faith bargaining
with its graduate students and other student workers. We also urge you to
immediately cease the punitive withholding of stipends; not only is this a
classic union-busting tactic but it is morally reprehensible, given how
difficult it is for these workers to live in New York city.  Finally, like
any other workers, they have a right to a policy outlining freedom from
discrimination and harassment, which we hope you will implement immediately.

As historians who value both scholarship and activism, we feel that the
university should provide a model for equitable labor relations and
demonstrate respect for the rights of all its workers.  This is the
standard to which we will hold Columbia—and you. We also fear that if
Columbia succeeds in breaking GWC-UAW Local 2110 it will be a signal to
other universities and will only increase the precarity of this large
sector of academic workers, further undermining the academy overall.

Sincerely,

Alexander Aviña, Associate Professor of History, Arizona State Universities

Marc Becker, Professor of History, Truman State University

Joel Beinin, Donald J. McLachlan Professor of History and Professor of
Middle East History Emeritus, Stanford University

Horace G. Campbell, Professor of African American Studies and Political
Science, Maxwell School of Citizenship, Syracuse University

Kellie Carter Jackson, Knafel Assistant Professor of the Humanities,
Department of Africana Studies, Wellesley College

Annette Chapman-Adisho, Professor of History, Salem State University

Aviva Chomsky, Professor of History, Salem State University

Joshua B. Freeman, Professor of History Emeritus, Queens College and the
Graduate Center, City University of New York

Van Gosse, Professor of History, Franklin & Marshall College

Marc Goulding, Associate Professor, Department of History and Geography,
University of Central Oklahoma

Anup Grewal, Assistant Professor, Department of Historical and Cultural
Studies, University of Toronto

Peter Kuznick, Professor of History, American University

Alex Lichtenstein, Professor of History, Indiana University

Zachary Lockman, Professor of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies and of
History, New York University

Patrick Manning, Andrew W. Mellon Professor of World History Emeritus,
University of Pittsburgh; Past President, American Historical Association

Teresa Meade, Florence B. Sherwood Professor of History and Culture
Emerita, Union College

Wilbur R. Miller, Professor of History Emeritus, Stony Brook University
(SUNY)

Marissa J. Moorman, Professor of History, Indiana University

Kevin P. Murphy, Professor of History, University of Minnesota

Molly Nolan, Professor of History Emerita, New York University

Annelise Orleck, Professor of History, Dartmouth College

Naomi Paik, Associate Professor of History, University of Illinois,
Urbana-Champaign

Margaret MacDonald Power, Professor of History, Illinois Institute of
Technology

Ellen Schrecker, Professor of History Emerita, Yeshiva University

Mark Selden, Professor of Sociology and History Emeritus, State University
of New York at Binghamton

Alan Singer, Director, Secondary Education Social Studies, Hofstra
University

Andor Skotnes, Professor of History and Society Emeritus, Russell Sage
College

Daniel Walkowitz, Professor of History Emeritus, New York University

Barbara Weinstein, Professor of History, New York University; Past
President, American Historical Association

Jon Wiener, Professor of History Emeritus, University of California Irvine

Lawrence S. Wittner, Professor of History Emeritus, State University of New
York at Albany

Kevin A. Young, Associate Professor of History, University of Massachusetts
Amherst

Add your name and affiliation here <https://forms.gle/eJhXePzoSW6KTP1e6>.