[H-PAD] President Trump Must Be Removed

Marc Becker marc at yachana.org
Tue Jan 12 04:06:48 PST 2021

We call for the immediate removal of President Trump from office and
fully support all legal efforts to remove him.
<https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/atcYNHk4Eh2YdGnwBh-YDDq-12ffX8FDFQATCg-fRGQQWJYPtxYKsXlkGnLKWtVYFKpZa4q8AgmIRHiBu2DoWqr7MhJSMS0yg8nVSdx2Krlnqsd4zH2jbRfKdvE_0LGE2GFOp2f2fDE9vsdA1LC5Cmofe9Z90M4XRgKPSswMANXEgmnCm47NRMThxODgVg0dVAD0OUngMHMmTep0So4WxnUeWwx85R0kx2o5XWX6yol7XmkXZLB18U-dnFCfJuNtOFRUj8yJZy1nh2Y9w1V0sg/38e/mBY8h-qiQ82_5jCT41G4vg/h0/HEe68pOWv0VwzllOTqke10vUGuNHguqwx1sL89iSmXo>

/The AAUP's leadership issued the following statement on January 8./

Two days ago, while white supremacist, Trump-supporting insurrectionists
stormed the United States Capitol, we wrote
<https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/atcYNHk4Eh2YdGnwBh-YDOq_j5dLi_68RVjvqpdLJ1pbuZPYCplhBVyMWzgswRoLkqHjMHHwgNxRtmWI9ug89FBmGfLKGk2kSv_IgCgI6UJJPlTWIRLsYkzlw5jsFMuP9g5MeeihH0iMwStxtCDGS8DqZ42JpSYtXtswfyzweXFKUNVd0dh9P4Fva9zmslOza06FI-2LE6GX7iaSD2dk_87Mt4ypcei3blRR6X1TqaLo1W_N2YRJCOimvf_RWedHedprgs3jenx7j6yAJ4jAhUoiH06Xt46Pkhya0f3ccZc/38e/mBY8h-qiQ82_5jCT41G4vg/h1/4Lt3V2EpRzK7OEeDjtLTPlJ49k6QjOOp1fuWXua2lR0>
that we were appalled by the assault and noted that the current
administration’s actions—over the long term but especially since the
election of Joe Biden in November—are directly responsible for the
attack on our democracy, for the lawlessness and violence, and for the
deaths. Today we reflect on how we got here and how, from our
perspective as higher education leaders, we move forward.

Donald Trump lost the election to Joe Biden, but Trump has not been
willing to accept that fact. With the help of a toxic brew of right-wing
“news” outlets, self-serving allies and enablers, and unregulated social
media, lies and misinformation have been repeated and amplified to the
point that facts and the truth are barely recognizable. It is neither
honest nor truthful to promise a “peaceful transition of power,” as
Trump did yesterday, while purposefully failing to acknowledge that Joe
Biden won the election.

President Donald Trump incited an attack on the seat of our democracy
while our elected representatives were inside conducting the people’s
business. As we write, the inauguration of Joe Biden is twelve days
away. The president does not accept reality, has been (temporarily)
suspended from social media, and yet retains access to the nuclear
codes. He presents a clear and present danger.

*We call for the immediate removal of President Trump from office and
fully support all legal efforts to remove him. *

An educated citizenry is essential for a well-functioning democracy. The
AAUP promotes higher education as a common good precisely because of its
power to transform lives and improve society. The misinformation and
conspiracy theories that fueled the attack on our Capitol must be met
with truth, education, and critical thinking. In this era of social
media, it is imperative that we as educators provide students and
society with the tools needed to distinguish truth from falsehood. The
AAUP will continue to fight against the decades-long disinvestment from
public higher education that weakens our democracy.

We would be remiss not to underscore the structural racism so clearly
evident in the events surrounding the siege on our Capitol. The
comparison between the law enforcement response to peaceful Black Lives
Matters protesters in Lafayette Park and to insurrectionists, some
armed, who breached police lines and stormed the US Capitol, is not
surprising to our colleagues of color and is now unmistakable to
everyone except those who willfully refuse to see what’s right in front
of them. We join so many others in calling out the obvious racism and in
asking the harder question: how are we going to dismantle this system on
which our country was built in order to work toward a shared national
vision of a more perfect union? At the AAUP, our work on antiracism has
just begun.

In the meantime, we call on our elected leaders to take the following
steps.

  * Remove President Trump from office immediately, before more damage
    can be done.
  * Continue to look into the enormous failure of law enforcement to
    protect our Capitol, and the disparate police actions towards this
    week’s insurrectionists and last year’s mostly peaceful racial
    justice protests.
  * Hold to account those responsible for these failures, and enact
    legislation that reforms law enforcement in this country.
  * Hold to account those who enabled, assisted, or supported the
    president in the ludicrous claims of election fraud which provoked
    the attack on Congress.

We take comfort in the fact that our institutions of government were
strong enough to withstand this attack and that the work of our Congress
was delayed only for a few hours. We also note that the strength of our
institutions of government depends on the strength of our system of
education. With our members and chapters, we will continue to promote
higher education as a common good in order to keep our democracy strong.
We look forward to working with the new administration on policies that
will provide affordable or free access to higher education to anyone
willing to do the work to get a degree. Education as a common good,
accessible to all, is the tool this nation needs to fight the rise of
propaganda and conspiracy theories, and to address systematic inequalities.

Irene Mulvey, AAUP President
Paul Davis, AAUP Vice President
Christopher Sinclair, AAUP Secretary-Treasurer

P.S. You can find the statement on our website here.
<https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/atcYNHk4Eh2YdGnwBh-YDOq_j5dLi_68RVjvqpdLJ1oQDGQgdOaugv_A7x1MAzDKtzPO4g2yIbBENFHlPMO-23qjSYe-sCNVcbXeNdG5ME6cnOV1_tO0xZp9P2c3lbuJ8xe9e9jReHb_VQSprq2xtAUVF2_NXfBKU7amxAkLV5KOv97jbop2x6jzwsq8ehtFbZy_MWoYPTBf6e5itbDvXew07v4c62QkRWvX1fWbY08LuhCxt-M4SSME1DVDGbMU1RbxOx-qDmk_W9zwGm_yh6vvnVNCbGHkyIcrGWFu5zHZWypOoJ4GqVTnBI3J5r5M/38e/mBY8h-qiQ82_5jCT41G4vg/h2/92vMztCRLEINkot0DGckDo-ue4cwl0eUQ0RKpDQkWs0>

Twitter
<https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/dSCQfi9FLISmU3ZE3bfPhp-7G6veUh_nPqcLpZt8CUNzVHHgRKOQ3wKxCFSJsBGNquVs7e0XUV2u3TvhnQyMrm5qzg80jcRMz8lvVHRg_moWSjBBtEA6dafQUSLmSknRzJFiPUYXDdbaKAOM8GLF5h1dmMJco00aP4X6ZEi0V3-9JCYRjA-zlMHOAZOEB4vcT02iyhYQ5A9bzEcj7zrEyJMTqtMpKS6vDY3GqSdl7413lXpUItKIlv9P5bTrzBPIEU-luVkFqD67J9HAIoXohQ/38e/mBY8h-qiQ82_5jCT41G4vg/h3/I3B772fL0HrMiNDCUTiawlzVbyghVSc8TYd1bb2qdHQ>
AAUP Website
<https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/atcYNHk4Eh2YdGnwBh-YDDq-12ffX8FDFQATCg-fRGRwxz1jF1HUSc-hhzaJnG49VcQpiuwpKAJrA4DGEX6yPV7Loxhf-Ou4HUa2bZs4fTeMe44vFLK4QkjqUSkaHskHJJYz9Dr-SEyZnKsa92z5rMBPcZ9vyXvlRU-wBju2i7uHYKXQFvzf_6yr0yeu20E2I68rTEbWt6WGy35IpYl1FhIdFR-7kPMt7VzLSeAtx6zemQu3o26DQ1hx8I_HOaK2ctlNd2qHT2fKiDOTAbWGxg/38e/mBY8h-qiQ82_5jCT41G4vg/h4/Q1uv3LYzoL7uvzTv4UQfukkjSy8Nrcc0ijmvB05WSzQ>
Facebook
<https://u1584542.ct.sendgrid.net/ss/c/atcYNHk4Eh2YdGnwBh-YDPAZiEt8wwS6hp5wOIb3CiLQL3sdNuARvjutyZh7ORSZs7_RBlMMzYIgIdDU0NS39Wqyp-UWW5XB9pyzGuefCIcnYxXsg-c2CmfRakCmh2WBiMfUOhLt5Wmz-XDxqZEeMyKb5qvLLxRYcjP0mxVIGunWWkAHfvHIZlx1JRJqflTky3cnlqG9l_wC24-ITTLE-qNQjJyhhxK_8PNnYOkAbnYIROkSRu3idEbGy5vsOAn4ye7rLEsGDT9x-_5TjxmFWVn3zvOEuYSLwJMfUAsOMEA/38e/mBY8h-qiQ82_5jCT41G4vg/h5/4Pb_Sev6EDMxaUJJi8egPiojus_jRc9ErTr_5CMacaU>