[H-PAD] H-PAD Notes 6/15/21: Links to recent articles of interest

Jim O'Brien jimobrien48 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 08:46:14 PDT 2021

*Links to Recent Articles of Interest*

*"History as End: 1619, 1776, and the Politics of the Past"*
<https://harpers.org/archive/2021/07/history-as-end-politics-of-the-past-matthew-karp>
By *Matthew Karp, **Harper's Magazine, *July 2021 issue
*A nuanced, sometimes surprising long essay analyzing current political
controversies over the American past. The author teaches US history at
Princeton University, specializing in the Civil War era.*

*"Pentagon Papers at 50: Daniel Ellsberg on Risking Life in Jail to Expose
U.S. Lies About Vietnam War"*
<https://www.democracynow.org/2021/6/14/pentagon_papers_leak_50th_anniversary>
*Democracy Now*, posted June 14
*Transcript of a new interview by Amy Goodman's with Daniel Ellsberg on how
he brought top-secret documents on the Vietnam War to the public eye. The
transcript is intercut with excerpts from past documentaries about the
Pentagon Papers. *

*"Experts Beware: Is America Heading for a Scopes Moment over Critical Race
Theory?"* <https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/180483>
By *Charles J. Holden, *History News Network, posted June 14
*Compares contemporary attacks on critical race theory with protests in the
1920s against the teaching of evolution - protests which involved an attack
on expertise as such. The author teaches history at St. Mary's College
(Maryland) and is the author of *Republican Populist: Spiro Agnew and the
Origins of Donald Trump's America *(U. of Virginia Press, 2019).*

*"My Grandparents Were Stolen from Their Families as Children. We Must
Learn about This History"*
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/06/11/deb-haaland-indigenous-boarding-schools>
By *Deb Haaland, **Washington Post, *posted June 11

*In this article by the current Secretary of the Interior, the first Native
American to serve as a US Cabinet secretary, she places members of her own
family among the"tens of thousands of Indigenous children" who "were taken
from their communities and forced into scores of boarding schools run by
religious institutions and the U.S. government." *

*"The Military Whispers Past the Afghan War Graveyard"*
<https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-military-whispers-past-the-afghan-war-graveyard>
*By Andrew J. Bacevich, **The American Conservative, *posted June 8
"*The present generation of senior U.S. military officers has an aversion
to confronting uncomfortable truths."Analysis and critique of a recent
press briefing on Afghanistan by General Mark Milley, Chairman of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff.** The author is a retired Army colonel and a professor
emeritus of history and International relations at Boston University." *

*"The Fadeout of the Pax Americana in the Middle East"*
<https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2021/06/08/the-fadeout-of-the-pax-americana-in-the-middle-east>
*By Chas Freeman, **Responsible Statecraft, *posted June 5
" After centuries of domination by foreigners – most recently by the United
States – the Middle East is now being reshaped primarily by interactions
between countries within it." The author is a retired US diplomat who
served in the Froreign Service and State and Defense Departments for thirty
years.

*"The Tulsa Race Massacre Went Way Beyond 'Black Wall Street'"*
<https://truthout.org/articles/robin-kelley-business-interests-fomented-tulsa-massacre-as-pretext-to-take-land>
Interview with *Robin D. G. Kelley *by *George Yancey, *Truthout.org,
posted June 1
*On the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre and its context, critiquing some of the
ways it has been framed, by liberals as well as the right. Robin Kelley
teaches history at the University of California, Los Angeles.*

*"Community-Engaged History: A Reflection on the 100th Anniversary of the
Tulsa Race Massacre"*
<https://academic.oup.com/ahr/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ahr/rhab193/6288651>
*By Karlos K. Hill, **American Historical Review, *posted May 31
*The author teaches African and African American history at the University
of Oklahoma. "As a historian of lynching and racial violence, I have spent
most of my career studying the ways in which Black communities have
experienced and made sense of white terrorist violence. However, it was not
until I began working at the University of Oklahoma and visited the site of
one of the staples of my teaching, the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre, that I
came to realize the impact of community-engaged history*."

*"Review: Leslie Blume's 'Fallout: The Hiroshima Coverup and the Reporter
Who Revealed It to the World'"
<https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/180389>*
By *Lawrence Wittner,* History News Network, posted May 30
*A review essay that provides fascinating background on the writing,
publication, and reception of John Hersey's account of the impact on
civilian lives of the August 6, 1945 atomic bombing of Hiroshima, first
published as an entire issue of the *New Yorker *a year after the bombing.
The author is a professor emeritus of history at SUNY Albany.*

*"How Cruelty Became the Point of Our Labor and Welfare Policies"*
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/05/26/how-cruelty-became-point-our-labor-welfare-policies>
*By Gail Savage, **Washington Post, *posted May 26
*On the elaboration of public policy in early nineteenth-century Britain,
focusing on debates between Thomas Malthus and William Hazlitt. The author
teaches history at St. Mary's College of Maryland, specializing in modern
Britain.*

*Thanks to Kevin Young, Rusti Eisenberg, Frank Dorrel, and an anonymous
reader for flagging some of the above articles. Suggestions can be sent to
jimobrien48 at gmail.com <jimobrien48 at gmail.com>.*