[H-PAD] H-PAD Notes 9/2/21: Sources on US role in Afghanistan

Jim O'Brien jimobrien48 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 10:16:31 PDT 2021

*Sources on US Role in Afghanistan*

The events in Afghanistan continue to inspire a barrage of commentary in
the mainstream media lamenting a US "weakness" in international affairs, as
exemplified by President Biden's too "hasty" removal of troops. However,
during the past two weeks there have also been numerous articles written
either by historians or by historically oriented writers, which approach
the topic from an anti-militarist perspective. The length of today's list
reflects this.
*Carolyn "Rusti" Eisenberg and Jim O'Brien*

Tariq Ali, * Debacle in Afghanistan
<https://newleftreview.org/sidecar/posts/debacle-in-afghanistan>,New Left
Review* blog, posted August 16

Andrew Bacevich, *Why We Lost in Afghanistan*
<https://www.thenation.com/article/world/afghanistan-defeat-taliban-army>, *The
Nation, *posted August 23

Medea Benjamin and Nicholas Davies,* Afghan Crisis Must End America’sEmpire
of War, Corruption and Poverty
<https://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/08/30/afghan-crisis-must-end-americas-empire-war-corruption-and-poverty>*,
*Common Dreams, *posted August 30

John Bodnar, *Words of Warning: Many Opposed the Afghanistan Invasion in
2001 <https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/181095>*, History News
Network, posted August 29

Juan Cole, *Biden Got 117,000 Afghans Out: Contrast that Time Trump
AbruptlyWithdrew from Syria and Refused to help Kurdish Allies*
<https://www.juancole.com/2021/08/contrast-abruptly-withdrew.html>,
Informed Comment blog, posted August 29

William Dalrymple, *Afghanistan Always Defeats the West
<https://unherd.com/2021/08/afghanistan-always-defeats-the-west>,
UnHerd, *posted
August 28

Daniel Falcone Interview with Historian Hannah Gurman, *Corporate Media
Were Complicit in the Afghan War and they are Still Obfuscating
<https://truthout.org/articles/corporate-media-were-complicit-in-afghanistan-war-and-theyre-still-obfuscating>*,
*Truthout, *posted August 26

Jonathan M. Katz, *T
<https://newrepublic.com/article/163329/afghanistan-withdrawal-haiti-earthquake-crisis>**he
Disasters in Afghanistan and Haiti Share the Same Twisted Roots
<https://newrepublic.com/article/163329/afghanistan-withdrawal-haiti-earthquake-crisis>**,
<https://newrepublic.com/article/163329/afghanistan-withdrawal-haiti-earthquake-crisis>
New Republic, *posted August 20

Ezra Klein, *Let’s Not PretendThat the Way We Withdrew from Afghanistan Was
the Problem*
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/26/opinion/afghanistan-us-withdrawal.html?smid=em-share>,
*New York Times, *posted August 26

Fredrik Logevall,* How America Lost Its Way in Afghanistan
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/16/books/review/carter-malkasian-the-american-war-in-afghanistan-craig-whitlock-the-afghanistan-papers.html>,
**New York Times, *posted August 17

<https://www.juancole.com/2021/08/taliban-crucial-understanding.html>

Gareth Porter, *Afghanistan Collapse Reveals Beltway Media's Loyalty to
Permanent War State*
<https://original.antiwar.com/porter/2021/08/31/afghanistan-collapse-reveals-beltway-medias-loyalty-to-permanent-war-state>*,
*antiwar.com, posted August 32

James Risen, *A War's Epitaph: For Two Decades Americans Told One Lie after
Another About What They Were Doing in Afghanistan
<https://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/71214-a-wars-epitaph-for-two-decades-americans-told-one-lie-after-another-about-what-they-were-doing-in-afghanistan>*
,* Reader Supported News, *posted August 28 (originally published in *The
Intercept)*

Stephen Wertheim, *The Ever-Ready Answer for Failure in Afghanistan: More
Wars*
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/08/18/afghanistan-withdrawal-accept-defeat>*,
**Washibngton Post, *posted August 18

*Valuable Resources*

*Human and Budgetary Costs toDate of the U.S. War in Afghanistan*
<https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/files/cow/imce/papers/2021/Human%20and%20Budgetary%20Costs%20of%20Afghan%20War%2C%202001-2022.pdf>,
”Neta C. Crawford and Catherine Lutz,  August 25, 2021, Watson Institute,
Brown University

Special Inspector General Report,
*WhatWe Need to Learn: Lessons from Twenty Years of Afghanistan
Reconstruction
<https://www.sigar.mil/pdf/lessonslearned/SIGAR-21-46-LL.pdf>*

*NOTE: **Historians for Peace and Democracy (H-PAD) is in the process of
adding to our Virtual Speakers List - the names of people who are prepared
to give talks on the recent developments in Afghanistan and the
implications for US foreign and domestic policy. We are hoping to post this
information early next week.