[H-PAD] H-PAD Statement on the Ukraine War

Andor Skotnes skotna at sage.edu
Tue Mar 15 15:41:03 PDT 2022

*Historians for Peace and Democracy (H-PAD)*

*Statement on the Ukraine War*

    [image: 9d087724-7e9d-4277-beb2-959b0abb8000.png]

The brutal, unjustified Russian invasion of Ukraine is causing massive
destruction, immense suffering of the civilian population and holds the
potential for triggering a wider war, which could even include the use of
nuclear weapons. *A cease-fire and withdrawal of Russian troops is
imperative, along with large-scale humanitarian aid to war victims and
refugees.*

In considering solutions it is important to acknowledge that militaristic
policies of the United States in Europe have risked a dangerous
polarization. In the aftermath of the Cold War a series of decisions to
expand NATO closer to Russia and to withdraw from two nuclear arms
agreements (the ABM and INF Treaties) needlessly inflamed tensions,  as did
the 2008  promise, made under US pressure, to eventually admit Ukraine and
Georgia to NATO.

Looking ahead, *Historians for Peace and Democracy* supports the
Administration policy of insisting on immediate Russian withdrawal from
Ukraine We also believe US policy must be directed to a diplomatic
solution, which preserves the independence and sovereignty of Ukraine,
while demilitarizing the region and reviving negotiations for the removal
of nuclear weapons from the European theater.    We are opposed to all
efforts to escalate the conflict—including the increase of an already
bloated US defense budget, the dispatch of additional US troops to other
NATO countries, or the proposed imposition of a “no-fly” zone over
Ukraine.

*As Historians for Peace and Democracy, we urge the Biden Administration to
increase humanitarian aid, avoid escalation of military activity, and press
vigorously for a negotiated solution. *

_______

 *We welcome thoughts from our members about useful actions that historians
can take. *

*Suggestions can be sent to carolyn.eisenberg at hofstra.edu
<carolyn.eisenberg at hofstra.edu> or Andor Skotnes at skotna at sqge.edu
<skotna at sqge.edu>.*