[H-PAD] Call for proposals for sessions at the next AHA, Jan. 4-7 2024

Andor Skotnes skotna at sage.edu
Sat Apr 15 11:13:48 PDT 2023

*Radical History Colleagues,*

*The Radical History Review (RHR) and Historians for Peace and Democracy
(H-PAD) are again organizing affiliate organization sessions for the AHA
Annual Meeting in San Francisco, January 4-7, 2024.*

At the 2023 meeting we sponsored ten panels on a range of topics, and a
number of these drew large audiences (2023 sessions
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/aha2023/>). For the 2022 meeting, held
as Covid was receding, we held 10 sessions (2022
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/aha2022/radical-history-review-rhr-historians-for-peace-and-democracy-h-pad-sessions-at-the-2022-aha-meeting-final-report/>).
In 2021 the meeting was largely canceled because of the pandemic. And in
2020 we sponsored eleven sessions (2020
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/aha2020/sessions/>).

*We are now calling for session proposals for the 2024 meeting,* and our
hope is to make our intervention at least as successful as that of 2023 (2023
report
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YTxMnPuJzKjxzDkCMdiiDsY06jw7tWua/edit>
),  We already have three sessions that have applied to be both AHA and
RHR/H-PAD sessions. We aim to develop something like ten more.

*Proposals for our affiliate sessions do not go through the AHA vetting
process* (although as mentioned, three have decided to do this anyway--at
any rate the deadline for AHA sessions has passed). *Instead, proposals go
directly to RHR/H-PAD, and we select and organize our sessions on our own*.
These sessions are very similar to regular AHA sessions in most ways.  They
are listed on the AHA website and in the printed conference program.  They
take place in the same rooms and locations as the regular sessions, at the
same times, and under the same conditions.  Affiliate sessions, including
ours, have become an integral part of AHA annual meetings. The AHA report
on the 2023 conference in its journal *Perspectives *chose to highlight, of
the 450 conference sessions, 12, many of which were affiliate organization
sessions  And of the 12, 3 RHR/H-PAD sessions were highlighted (*Perspectives
<https://www.historians.org/research-and-publications/perspectives-on-history/february-2023/aha23-a-philadelphia-story>*
– see especially the last eight paragraphs).

*Our AHA sessions are wide ranging in terms of topics and form, and tend to
emphasize political  questions and frameworks as well as radical
theoretical approaches and questions of immediate political intervention as
well as ‘’’historical scholarship.”*  At the last AHA meeting we stressed
the culture wars-- their origins and their threats-- as well as racism, and
international processes and crises of imperialism.  We also put focus on
education and on the educational labor movement.  A weakness was that we
failed to really emphasize historical and current right-wing attacks on
women and LGBTQ+ constituencies, especially on health care and abortion.  We
need to rectify this failing this time.

*Finally it must be mentioned that, for the first time in 2023, we audio-
and video-recorded most of our sessions* with participant’s permission, and
made them available on our website as podcasts and webinars (audio
<https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1bBC5af2Q9RgryicYERPGsEsKdnT3IFBq>
- video
<https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1zN8yGLeygPyJTv-SS0JytPd2Sd41w-ly>).

*So please consider organizing a radical history panel for AHA 2024.*  And
if you are considering this, please contact us immediately!  Don’t wait
until you have everything in place, but let us know now what you are
thinking and doing.  We can help you in making connections and in pulling
things together.

*Please contact us with any AHA Conference ideas orquestions at
skotna at sage.edu <skotna at sage.edu>*. Please keep in mind that we must send
in the completed RHR/H-PAD sessions to the AHA by late May.

*In solidarity, Andor Skotnes for RHR/H-PAD*