[H-PAD] Burying the Monroe Doctrine, April 29

Margaret Power power at iit.edu
Sun Apr 23 09:39:12 PDT 2023

Information about this fantastic event is below:

Please join us and please help spread the word to students and faculty
colleagues about an important event on April 29, the Latin American Policy
Forum <https://www.americaspolicyforum.org/>: “In Search of a New U.S.
Policy for a New Latin America: Burying 200 Years of the Monroe Doctrine."
It will take place at American University's Kerwin Hall T-01 starting at 10
am and is being sponsored by American University’s Departments of History
and Anthropology and over 50 partners
<https://www.americaspolicyforum.org/endorsers>, including CodePink.

We’ll hear from speakers including Democracy Now’s Juan Gonzalez, Belly of
the Beast’s award-winning Cuban journalist Liz Oliva Fernández, Mexican
renowned scholar of Critical Theory and the Philosophy of Liberation Jorge
Zuñiga, and Nick Estes, founder of the indigenous resistance group Red
Nation. We’ll look at movements that are opposing sanctions and unilateral
intervention, countering militarism with cooperation, building independent
regional institutions, addressing the climate crisis, and helping migrants.

We’ll also have a cultural celebration in the evening and an advocacy day
in Congress the day before.  Sign up for any or all of these events now or
just show up!
<http://www.americaspolicyforum.org/registernow?e=19df9cb57e19ec29e0143d04ce5ac902&utm_source=codepink&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=latam_forum_medea&n=6>

It’s time for us to bury the Monroe Doctrine once and for all and to help
shape a new policy and forms of solidarity towards our neighbors in Latin
America and the Caribbean.

Join us on April 29 at American University for art, music, speakers,
debates, and more.

*Solidarity Across the Americas: The Puerto Rican Nationalist Party and
Anti-imperialism*
https://www.uncpress.org/book/9781469674056/solidarity-across-the-americas/
Margaret Power
Professor of History Emerita
Department of Humanities
Illinois Institute of Technology
3301 South Dearborn
Chicago, Illinois 60616

*I acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land I am on today, the
Kickapoo and the Potawatami, and pay my respects to their elders past and
present.*