[H-PAD] [PLEASE FORWARD!] April 11: "Fighting the Right: Lessons From Florida"

Van Gosse vgosse at fandm.edu
Tue Mar 28 12:31:34 PDT 2023

Dear H-PAD supporters,

We are honored that our fellow historian Paul Ortiz will lead this online
forum, so we can all start planning to organize our own campuses.  The
Right is coming for all of us, and there are lessons to be learned!  *Please
forward to everyone you know who is ready to fight.*

Van Gosse and Margaret Power, for H-PAD

*Fighting the Right:** Lessons From Florida*

[image: image.png]

*An Online Forum with Paul Ort**iz*

*President, United Faculty of Florida, University of Florida*

*(FEA/NEA/AFT/AFL-CIO)*

Paul Ortiz and his union are on the frontlines of the current culture wars.

Education on all levels, and the rights of much of the state’s population,
are under attack by forces led by Governor Ron DeSantis. The governor’s
“Anti-Wokeness” campaign threatens to eviscerate honest teaching of United
States history and force people of color, the trans and LGBTQ+ communities,
and working people in general to the margins of society. Resistance to this
campaign is growing, and at the center of the fight is the United Faculty
of Florida and its allies. Paul Ortiz, a historian at the University of
Florida and veteran of social justice movements, is a key leader in this
resistance.

Paul Ortiz is Professor of History at the University of Florida, and
President of the United Faculty of Florida-UF  (FEA/NEA/AFT/AFL-CIO).   He
is the author of *An African American and Latinx History of the United
States*, which received the 2018 PEN Oakland-Josephine Miles Award for
Literary Excellence, and other books.  His Ph.D. is from Duke University.

*Tuesday, April 11, 7 pm-8pm EDT*

Click here
<https://masspeaceaction.org/event/fighting-the-right-lessons-from-florida/>
<https://masspeaceaction.org/event/fighting-the-right-lessons-from-florida/>
 register
<https://masspeaceaction.org/event/fighting-the-right-lessons-from-florida/>
 to attend
<https://masspeaceaction.org/event/fighting-the-right-lessons-from-florida/>

*Sponsored by Historians for Peace and Democracy, cosponsored by
Massachusetts Peace Action*