[H-PAD] URGENT: AHA Members, Please Sign Our Resolution!

Van Gosse vgosse at fandm.edu
Fri Sep 15 05:33:06 PDT 2023

Dear H-PAD supporters and friends,

We have until October 1 to submit this resolution for consideration at the
Business Meeting during the AHA Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2024 in San
Francisco.  AHA leaders have been defending “the right to learn,” and this
resolution urges all Association members to get involved.

*We need 227 members (2% of the total membership) to sign the resolution,
so as to get it on the agenda for the Business Meeting.*

*If you are (or will be as of October 1) a paid-up AHA member, please send
your signature and institutional affiliation to me at van.gosse at fandm.edu
<van.gosse at fandm.edu>.  *

Also, please forward this email to your colleagues and any historians you
know who may be AHA members.  We need to get the word out as widely and
quickly as possible.

Van Gosse, for H-PAD

*In Defense of the Right to Learn*

Whereas, Council’s *Guiding Principles on Taking a Public Stance* (2017)
specify that “In a wide range of situations, whether involving the rights
and careers of individual historians, historical practice in diverse
venues, or the role of history in public culture, the AHA has the
responsibility to take public stands.”

Whereas, Council further stipulated, as an example, “When public or private
authorities...censor or seek to prevent the writing, publication,
exhibition, teaching, or other practices of history or seek to punish
historians...for conclusions they have reached and evidence they have
unearthed as a result of legitimate historical inquiry,” mandating
that “The AHA should defend historians, regardless of institutional
affiliations or lack thereof, against efforts to limit their freedom of
expression, or to punish them for ideas, grounded in legitimate historical
inquiry, they have expressed or material they have uncovered.”

Whereas, numerous state legislatures and officials are censoring the
teaching of history in public schools and universities;

Whereas, said legislation mandates the distortion of scholarship about such
central topics as slavery, the dispossession of indigenous peoples, and
LGBTQ people;

Whereas, under pressure from partisan groups, school boards across the
country are forcing teachers to censor their treatment of these issues in
their classes and libraries are removing canonical books in literature and
history from their shelves;

Whereas, teachers and librarians who resist these measures have faced
personal attacks and threats;

Therefore, the Association calls on its members to:

·      Support AHA actions to uphold accuracy in history teaching;

·      Organize on your campus against the attacks on history and
historians;

·      Defend academic freedom and job security for history teachers at
every level.

·      Write editorials and letters-to-the-editor defending teachers,
librarians, and school board members;

·      Testify before legislative bodies and school boards about the right
to learn.