[H-PAD] H-PAD: Additional speakers for Issues Forums

Andor Skotnes skotna at sage.edu
Wed Oct 7 13:39:56 PDT 2020

*H-PAD Issues Forums Announcement #2*

*Additional Speakers! *

[image: image.png]

*October 7, 2020*

*Last week, Historians for Peace and Justice (H-PAD) announced its Virtual
Issues Forums*, along with a list of twenty-seven leading historians,
intellectuals, and activists who are willing to present, via Zoom or Skype,
to campus or community gatherings around the country. *Now we are adding
five speakers to that list*. All the speakers are available to speak,
without honoraria, on a range of topics crucial to the upcoming November
elections. We urged—and we again urge now--H-PAD members and supporters to
contact speakers directly by email to set up forums in their locales during
October. As we pointed out in the original announcement, these virtual
events are much simpler and quicker to arrange than face-to-face sessions.

Times are difficult now, and the struggle is intense.  To again repeat our
first announcement, during the coming weeks, when our students and others
are increasingly focused on the election, we have an opportunity to do
valuable educational work around the critical issues of our time.  *Please
consider scheduling an Issues Forum in your locale! Or--an additional
idea--set up a speaker as part of a regular distance or hybrid class, and
then invite others to join the class presentation.*

*Please contact us with questions or for more information, *

*Rusti Eisenberg (**Carolyn.Eisenberg at hofstra.edu
<Carolyn.Eisenberg at hofstra.edu>), Andor Skotnes (skotna at s
<skotna at sage.edu>**age.edu
<skotna at sage.edu>)*

*_____________________________________________________________________*

*Here are the five additional speakers:*

*Leslie Cagan* (climate change and relation to other issues: power of
protest, organizing in a pandemic); coordinator of The Peoples Climate
Movement, NY; former national co-chair of United for Peace and Justice;
email: esliecagan at igc.org

*Desta Cantave* (art, civil rights, civil liberties); Hampshire College;
web: https://clpp.hampshire.edu/about-us/who-we-are/desta-cantave; email:
dcantave at hampshire.edu

*Joseph Gerson* (dangers of Trump tyranny; urgent need to defend
constitutional democracy); president of the Campaign for Peace, Disarmament
and Common Security; member of Mass. Peace Action’s board; Vice-President
of the International Peace Bureau; web:
https://www.afsc.org/media-kit/bios/joseph-gerson; email:
jgerson80 at gmail.com

*Tiyi Morris* (racial conflict); Department of African American and African
Studies, Ohio State University; web:
https://newark.osu.edu/directory/morris-tiyi.html;  email:
morris.730 at osu.edu

*Liz Theoharis* (issues of democracy, poverty, racism, ecological
devastation, militarism, and Christian nationalism); Union Theological
Seminary; Kairos Center for Religions, Rights, and Social Justice; co-chair
of the Poor People's Campaign: A National Call for a Moral Revival
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_People%27s_Campaign:_A_National_Call_for_a_Moral_Revival>;
web: *http://liztheoharis.org/about/ <http://liztheoharis.org/about/>*;  email:
 liz.theoharis at gmail.com

*_____________________________________________________________________*

*Here, again, is the original list of twenty-seven speakers distributed
earlier (also on the H-PAD web site here
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/2020/09/30/h-pad-organize-a-virtual-forum-on-issues-related-to-the-election/>):*

*Ervand Abrahamian* (US relations with Iran) Baruch College emeritus; web:
https://www.baruch.cuny.edu/wsas/academics/history/eabrahamian.htm; email:
Ervand.Abrahamian at baruch.cuny.edu

*Alexander Aviña* (immigration/US-Latin America Relations) Arizona State
University; web https://newsroom.asu.edu/expert/alexander-aviña;
https://alexanderavina.com; email alexander.avina at asu.edu

*Medea Benjamin* (resisting US militarism and interventions) CODEPINK; web:
https://www.codepink.org/medea_benjamin; email: medea at codepink.org

*Dr.Oliver Fein* (healthcare) Cornell Medical School; web:
https://weillcornell.org/otfein; email: ofein at med.cornell.edu

*Bill Fletcher, Jr* (right-wing populism; labor; and foreign policy)
syndicated columnist and a regular media commentator; web:
http://billfletcherjr.com/; email: billfletcherjr at gmail.com

*Irene Gendzier* (US relations in the Middle East) Boston University; web:
https://www.bu.edu/polisci/people/faculty-emeriti/gendzier/; email:
gendzier at bu.edu

*Josh Freeman* (labor relations) CUNY Graduate Center; web:
https://www.gc.cuny.edu/Page-Elements/Academics-Research-Centers-Initiatives/Doctoral-Programs/History/Faculty-Bios/Joshua-B-Freeman;
email: jfreeman at gc.cuny.edu

*Bill Hartung *(military spending; budget priorities; arms trade;
military-industrial complex) Center for International Policy; web:
https://www.internationalpolicy.org/william-hartung; email:
whartung at internationalpolicy.org

*Kellie Carter Jackson* (the racial crisis) Wellesley College; web:
https://www.wellesley.edu/africana/faculty/carter-jackson; email:
kjackso6 at wellesley.edu

*Namrata Jacob* (reproductive justice) Civil Liberties and Public Policy,
Hampshire College;

email: NamrataJacob14 at gmail.com

*Rashid Khalidi*  (US Middle East Policy) Columbia University; web:
https://history.columbia.edu/person/khalidi-rashid/; email:
rik2101 at columbia. <rik2101 at columbia.edu>

*Michael Klare* (climate change; arms control) Arms Control Association;
web: https://www.armscontrol.org/about/Michael_Klare; email:
mklare at armscontrol.org

*Peter Kuznick* (nuclear weapons) American University; web:
https://www.american.edu/cas/faculty/kuznick.cfm;  email: pkuznick at aol.com

*Nelson Lichtenstein* (From Old New Deal to Green New Deal) University of
California, Santa Barbara; web:
https://www.history.ucsb.edu/faculty/nelson-lichtenstein/; email:
nelson at history.ucsb.edu

*Wilbur Miller* (police misconduct) Stony Brook emeritus; web: Annaliese
Orleck https://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/history/people/emeriti/miller.php;
email: wilbur.miller at stonybrook.edu

*Molly Nolan* (trans-Atlantic relations, ) New York University
emeritus; web:
https://womenalsoknowhistory.com/individual-scholar-page/?pdb=1807; email:
mn4 at nyu.edu

*Annaliese Orleck* (global economy /low income workers) Dartmouth College;
web: https://history.dartmouth.edu/people/annelise-orleck; email:
Annelise.Orleck at Dartmouth.EDU

*Kimberly K Phillips-Fein* (The Fiscal Crisis of States and Cities; The
State of the Right--The History of Conservatism and Its Lessons for the
Present) New York University; web:
https://gallatin.nyu.edu/people/faculty/kpf2.html : email: kpf2 at nyu.edu

*Dr. Marjorie Rogers* (healthcare) President-Elect of Physicians for a
National Health Program; web:
https://pnhp.org/about/speakers-bureau/susan-rogers/; email:
rgrsssn at gmail.com

*Loretta Ross* (reproductive justice, women of color, White supremacy and
hate groups, calling in the Cancel Culture.) Smith College; web:
https://www.lorettaross.com/Biography.html; email:  lorossta at gmail.com

*Ellen Schrecker* (civil liberties) Yeshiva-emeritus;  web:
https://www.oah.org/lectures/lecturers/view/1380/ellen-schrecker/; email:
ellen.schrecker at gmail.com

* Alan Singer* (crisis of democracy) Hofstra University; web:
https://www.hofstra.edu/faculty/fac_profiles.cfm?id=1412,  email:
Alan.J.Singer at hofstra.edu

*Dr. Paul Song* (heathcare) President of California Chapter, Physicians for
a National Health Program (PNHP); website:
https://www.huffpost.com/author/paul-song; email: paulysong at gmail.com

*Barbara Winslow* (historic struggle for the vote); web:
https://www.oah.org/lectures/lecturers/view/1640/barbara-winslow/; email:
bwpurplewins at gmail.com

*Barbara Weinstein* (Trump’s impact on Latin American politics) New York
University; web: https://as.nyu.edu/faculty/barbara-weinstein.html; email:
barbara.weinstein at nyu.edu

*Jon Wiener* University of California Irvine; web:
https://jonwiener.com/bio/; email: wiener at uci.edu

*Larry Wittner* (nuclear weapons) SUNY Albany emeritus; web:
https://www.lawrenceswittner.com/; email: larrywittner at gmail.com