[H-PAD] Petition from The U.S Network for Democracy in Brazil to sign

Margaret Power power at iit.edu
Thu Oct 8 11:51:23 PDT 2020

Dear H-PADers,

Below is a petition we urge you to sign. It is from The U.S Network for
Democracy in Brazil, of which H-PAD is a member.

Thank you.

Margaret Power, co-chair of H-PAD
From: James N. Green <James_Green at brown.edu>

Dear Colleagues:
In the past I have sent you individual emails on occasions to ask you to
support a campaign of the U.S. Network for Democracy in Brazil. Indeed, you
are likely subscribed to the Network's mailing list and have probably
received  a request to sign the petition below in defense of the life of
Talíria Petrone, an Afro-Brazilian Congresswoman from Rio de Janeiro. Jean
Wyllys contacted me this week to ask me to help disseminate this
international campaign in the United States. As we are all anxiously
anticipating the US elections, please take a minute to consider signing the
petition and circulating it widely. *It really will make a difference in
creating an international circle of protection around this combative
representative of the Brazilain people.*

Thanks,
Jim

https://mailchi.mp/3fb9a7ecb81d/declaration-against-political-violence-in-brazil-and-dialogues-for-democracy?e=fb9fb6950f

Declaration against political violence in Brazil and in solidarity with
Talíria Petrone
Dear Friends of the U.S Network For Democracy in Brazil,

We hope that this email finds you well. We write this email to share a
declaration
condemning political violence <https://forms.gle/QcEvmHQydynLZVVH9>, this
time specifically against Congresswoman Talíria Petrone, from PSOL-RJ, that
is now being circulated among networks of politicians, academics and
activist to collect signatures.

Talíria Petrone lives under constant death threats for using her mandate to
advocate for matters such as the expansion of civil rights and the end of
the genocide of black people in Brazil. Since taking office in the Chamber
of Deputies, she has been officially notified of six reports of plans for
her execution. Although she is an elected parliamentarian with more than
100,000 votes, her protection is not fully guaranteed by the state.

The fight against gender and race-based political violence is a task for
all of us. That is why we express our solidarity and support for federal
deputy Talíria Petrone and all Brazilian women, especially black ones, who
are parliamentarians and candidates, and we urge Brazilian institutions to
take effective measures to ensure their safety.

As such, we invite all USNDB friends and members to sign the Google Forms
<https://forms.gle/7JTEYsQgjjxyz29x5>below by the end of the working week.
You can find the Google Forms and the full statement here:

https://forms.gle/7JTEYsQgjjxyz29x5

Take care,

Roni Wine
The U.S Network for Democracy in Brazil

*James N. Green*
Carlos Manuel de Céspedes Professor of Modern Latin American History
https://vivo.brown.edu/manager/display/jngreen/