[H-PAD] H-PAD Notes 2/23/22: Links to recent articles of interest

Jim O'Brien jimobrien48 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 11:49:09 PST 2022

*Links to Recent Articles of Interest*

*"Putin's Move on Donetsk, Lugansk Is Illegal But Falls Short of New
'Invasion'"*
<https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2022/02/21/putins-move-on-donestk-lugansk-is-illegal-but-fall-short-of-invasion>
By *Anatol Lieven, **Responsible Statecraft, *posted February 22
*Argues that there is still room to avert a full-scale Russian invasion of
Ukraine and that it is right to withhold the heaviest potential sanctions
for such an eventuality. "If we impose full sanctions now, we will have no
more economic ammunition to use, and Russia would have nothing to lose by
widening the war." The author is a senior research fellow of the Quincy
Institute for Responsible Statecraft.*

*"Lessons from the History Textbook Wars of the 1920s"*
<https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/182475>
By *Bruce W. Dearstyne, *History News Network, posted February 20
*On accusations in the 1920s that history textbooks were insufficiently
patriotic, especially in depicting the American Revolution. Historians,
especially the American Historical Association, pushed back against the
attacks, and the controversy died down by later in the decade. The author
is a historian in Albany, NY.*

*"Ugly Echoes of Historical Miscegenation Panic in Federal Trial of
Arbery's Killers"* <https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/182465>
By *Elise Lemire, *History News Network, posted February 20
"..*. Mr. Arbery was caught at the intersection of a set of White beliefs
that crystalized between the American Revolution and the Civil War, when
descriptions and pictorial representations of Blacks romantically and
sexually coupling with Whites proliferated in the United States."** The
author teaches literature at Purchase College and is the author of
*"Miscegenation":
Making Race in America *(U. of Pennsylvania Press, 2002).*

*"I Was There: NATO and the Origins of the Ukraine Crisis"*
<https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2022/02/15/the-origins-of-the-ukraine-crisis-and-how-conflict-can-be-avoided>
By *Jack F. Matlock Jr.,* *Responsible Statecraft, *posted February 15

*"After the fall of the Soviet Union, I told the Senate that expansion [of
NATO] would lead us to where we are today." The author is a former career
forieign service officer who served as US ambassador to the Soviet Union
from 1987 to 1991. He is on the board of directors of the American
Committee for US-Russia Accord, which published a lengthier version
<https://usrussiaaccord.org/acura-viewpoint-jack-f-matlock-jr-todays-crisis-over-ukraine>
of this article.*

*"How Did We Get Here? The Strategic Blunder of the 1990s That Set the
Stage for Today's Ukrainian Crisis"*
<https://tomdispatch.com/how-did-we-get-here>
By Rajan Menon, TomDispatch.com, posted February 8
*"Instead of seizing the opportunity to create a new European order that
included Russia, President Bill Clinton and his foreign-policy team
squandered it by deciding to expand NATO threateningly toward that
country’s borders."* *The author is a professor emeritus of international
relations at Columbia University.*

*"What the Cuban Missile Crisis Can Teach Us about Ending Hostility in
Ukraine"*
<https://www.commondreams.org/views/2022/02/07/what-cuban-missile-crisis-can-teach-us-about-ending-hostility-ukraine>
By *Lawrence Wittner,* *Common Dreams, *posted February 7
*" Kennedy and Khrushchev recognized, to their mutual dismay, that their
two nuclear-armed nations had arrived at an incredibly dangerous impasse
and were sliding toward nuclear war.  As a result, they did some top-secret
bargaining that de-escalated the situation." The author is a professor
emeritus of history at SUNY Albany.*

*"Politicians Dictating What Teachers Can Say about Racism Can Be
Dangerous"*
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2022/02/03/politicians-dictating-what-teachers-can-say-about-racism-can-be-dangerous>
By *Robert Cohen,* *Washington Post,* posted February 3
*Uses reflective essays from 1962 by white students at the University of
Georgia to decry the results of an education that ignores the role that
race has played in US society.* The author teaches history and social
studies education at New York University.

*"The Israeli Pogrom: Settler Violence in the West Bank"*
<https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/02/03/the-israeli-pogrom-settler-violence-in-the-west-bank>
By *Lawrence Davidson, *CounterPunch.org, posted February 3
*Argues that the historical term "pogrom" applies to the use of violence
against Palestinians in the West Bank by settlers with tacit encouragement
from the *Israeli government. *The author is a retired professor of history
at West Chester University in Pennsylvania.*

*"A Mournful Legacy: Ukraine and the Recovery of Moral Realism"*
<https://www.commonwealmagazine.org/mournful-legacy>
By *Andrew J Bacevich, **Commonweal, *posted February 2
*Recalls lessons from David Halberstam's account of US commitment to the
Vietnam War, *The Best and the Brightest, *published 50 years ago this
year, to warn against a similar overcommitment in Eastern Europe. The
alternative approach is what the author calls moral realism. Is is a
retired US Army colonel and a professor emeritus of history and
international relations at Boston University.*

*"America Is Reaping What It Sowed in Ukraine"*
<https://countercurrents.org/2022/01/america-is-reaping-what-it-sowed-in-ukraine>
By *Medea Benjamin and Nicolas J. S. Davies **Countercurrents.org, *posted
January 31
*A counter-narrative of US actions in recent years, starting with
involvement in the overthrow of a Russia-friendly government of Ukraine in
2014. Medea Benjamin is a co-founder of Global Exchange and CODEPINK;
Nicolas Davies is author of* Blood on Our Hands: The American Invasion and
Destruction of Iraq.

*Thanks to Rusti Eisenberg and an anonymous reader for flagging some of the
above articles, and to Steve Gosch for valuable consulting. Suggestions for
future lists can be sent to jimobrien48 at gmail.com <jimobrien48 at gmail.com>.*