[H-PAD] A Call to Action

Ellen Schrecker ellen.schrecker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 18:06:40 PST 2022

Dear Supporters of Historians for Peace and Democracy,

*This is a call for help.*

H-PAD has enthusiastically signed on to the campaign against what PEN calls
educational gag orders– i.e. all the state laws banning the teaching about
race, sexuality, and historical truth.

We do have an agenda for confronting the right-wing culture wars.

1.     We have enlisted in a campaign launched by Kimberlé Crenshaw’s
African American Policy Forum to encourage faculty senates to pass
resolutions against the educational gag orders. (For information about the
faculty senate academic freedom resolutions campaign, follow this link to
our most recent Call to Action.) The AAPF’s campaign is surprisingly
effective. It has already produced senate resolutions at such universities
as Texas, Alabama, Minnesota, Colorado, Ohio State, and Oregon, among
others and is beginning to get national recognition in the media.

 2.     We are putting together a website that contains reports and
documents that may be of use for faculty members, journalists, and other
groups and individuals concerned about the attacks on academic freedom.  We
will also collect and post up-to-date information about the faculty senate
academic freedom resolution campaign. No such central repository exists;
its value for the campaign against the educational gag rules is obvious.
Here is the link to the current version of that website.
<https://www.historiansforpeace.org/opposition-to-the-culture-wars/>

3.     We are also engaged in publicizing events connected with that
campaign such as the March 2nd Teach-In
<http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07ej15u7m6d92e282c&llr=aw94hvcab>
 on “Race, History, & Academic Freedom,” sponsored by the National Center
for the Study of Collective Bargaining in Higher Education and the
Professions at Hunter College (CUNY). We hope to be able to present similar
webinars in the next few months as well.

*BUT WE CAN’T DO THIS WORK WITHOUT YOUR HELP*

There are only a handful of us in the H-PAD Steering Committee and the
H-PAD subgroup working on the Culture Wars, we are only human and we need
more warm bodies – with a strong political commitment to the movement for
peace and social justice and a willingness to make a concrete contribution
to that movement. Please join us in this important work. Even a few hours
will make a difference. And money won’t hurt either. The Steering Committee
is planning to hire a part-time assistant to help with some of our work,
but we still need volunteers to push resolutions by faculty senates,
councils or other faculty organizations and to help us gather information
on the culture war and how to combat it. We also need donations to continue
this work.

       Please let us know if you are interested in joining our work.
Contact Molly Nolan, mn4 at nyu.edu.

In Solidarity,

    Ellen Schrecker and Molly Nolan

        for the Steering Committee of Historians for Peace and Democracy