[H-PAD] RHR/H-PAD AHA 2022 Sessions Rescheduled

Andor Skotnes skotna at sage.edu
Mon Jan 3 14:52:10 PST 2022

[image: image.png]

*Report on RHR/H-PAD at the 2022 AHA Annual Meeting:*

*Our sessions Are Being Rescheduled and Relocated!*

 As with the 2020 AHA, RHR, in cooperation with H-PAD, has organized a set
of ten strong affiliate sessions for the 2022 AHA conference in New
Orleans; it begins soon, and runs January 6-9. Unfortunately the COVID
pandemic has again deepened, and we have had to reschedule our sessions
apart from the current conference site and schedule.

Of our sessions, one was canceled, two will be held outside the AHA
framework, and seven are moving to the “virtual AHA conference” that is now
being organized online for February 21-27.  Below, our original ten
sessions are listed as previously scheduled, along with current information
about their rescheduling. More complete information will be available soon.

--*Originally scheduled  for Thursday, January 6--*

*“Free Speech and Koch Money: How to Defend Yourself and Your Colleagues
from the Right’s Campus Culture War”  * (Ralph Wilson-Corporate Genome
Project , Isaac Kamola--Trinity College and UCONN AAUP; Nanvy MacLean-Duke,
Andor Skotnes--Sage College*)   *

*To be an AHA VIRTUAL SESSION*

*--Originally for Friday, January 7--*

*“Gambling with Armageddon, Nuclear Roulette from Hiroshima to the Cuban
Missile Crisis . . . and China Today” CANCELED*

*“Albert Woodfox and Black Resistance to the Carceral State” (*Albert
Woodfox-Independent scholar, Rhonda Y. Williams-Vanderbilt, Margaret M.
Power- Illinois Tech)  *To be produced as an independent H-PAD PODCAST*

*“Year One of the Biden Administration:  Where Do We Go from Here?”  *
(Alexander
Aviña-Arizona State, Phyllis Bennis-IPS, Kellie Carter Jackson-
Wellesley, Nancy
MacLean-Duke University. Gabriel E. Winant, Chicago)   *To be an AHA
VIRTUAL SESSION*

*“Strategic Discussion: What Role Can Historians and Historically Oriented
Intellectuals Play in the Current Crisis?” (*Kevin A. Young- UMass Amherst,
Diana Sierra Becerra- UMass Amherst, Karlos Kentrell Hill- U of Oklahoma,
Carolyn Eisenberg, Hofstra)  *To be AHA VIRTUAL SESSION*

*-Originally for Saturday, January 8-*

*“Rethinking Civil Rights and Black Politics in the Antebellum North” * (Van
E. Gosse-Franklin & Marshall, Kate Masur-Northwestern, Christopher James
Bonner- UMD, Christy Clark-Pujara-Wisconsin, Sarah L. H.
Gronningsater-Pennsylvania, Chernoh Sesay-DePaul)   *To be an AHA VIRTUAL
SESSION*

*“Radical Biography: Confrontations of Race, Gender, Power, and
Privilege”* (David
Nasaw-CUNY, Teresa A. Meade-Union, Benjamin A. Talton-Temple, Manu
Bhagavan-Hunter College CUNY, Brian James Peterson, Union ) *Rescheduled
apart from the AHA for Levi Institute, CUNY Grad Center in late March 22,
6:30*

*“Debating Israel and Apartheid:  Historical Comparisons and Historical
Fallacies” * (Jonathan Alshech-Northern British Columbia, Sean Jacobs-New
School, Alex Lichtenstein-Indiana, Areej Sabbagh-Khoury, Hebrew University}* To
be an AHA VIRTUAL SESSION*

*-Originally for Sunday, January 9-*

*“Teaching Contemporary Controversies in the Secondary School History
Curriculum” * (Barbara Winslow-Brooklyn College, Adeola
Tella-Williams-Uniondale High School, Pablo Muriel-Alfred E. Smith High
School, Chris Dier-Benjamin Franklin High School, Cynthia Vitere-South Side
High School,  Alan Singer-Hofstra University)  *To be an AHA VIRTUAL
SESSION*

*“Ellen Schrecker's The Lost Promise: American Universities in the
1960s”  *(Adam
Fairclough- Leiden University, Stefan M. Bradley-Amherst College, Dick
Flacks-UC Santa Barbara, Jeremy P. Varon-The New School, Ellen
Schrecker-Yeshiva}

*To be an AHA VIRTUAL SESSION*

*We will be back in touch with more complete information* on when and how
our virtual panels will be available.  We hope you will be able to access
them.  In addition, we plan to make recordings of our AHA Virtual Sessions
available in the future as podcasts.  Please stay tuned.